These days, you can get pretty much anything shipped directly to your door. And while that convenience is tough to beat, it often comes with a steep cost to the planet: no sustainable packaging.
Maybe you’ve experienced the frustration of receiving a lone jar in an outsized cardboard box stuffed with yards of bubble wrap, or a single order that arrives in separate deliveries for each individual item. Aside from being annoying, this practice is incredibly wasteful, resulting in 32 million tons of trashed packaging piling up in landfills each year and 480 billion grams of carbon emissions polluting the air on a daily basis.
It is possible to balance convenience with eco-consciousness—we’ve made it our mission to do so. Read on to find out how we’re rethinking sustainable packaging and shipping to make sustainability a top priority, as well as how you can do your part.
5 Ways We’re Making a Difference
Building a better market isn’t only about making healthy eating easy and affordable for everyone—it’s also about being kind to our planet. We’re mindful of the environmental impact of every step in your Thrive Market box’s journey to your door.
- 100% recycled boxes. We’re proud to announce that the boxes we use to package your orders are now made of 100% recycled content.
- 100% recyclable and reusable materials: The boxes, packing paper, and even the tape we use are 100% recyclable. Our plastic bags have many additional uses—more on that later.
- Maximizing box space: We pack an average of 12 to 14 items in every box. Not only is it better for the planet because it uses less packaging, but it makes for a much more satisfying unboxing experience.
- Ground shipping: Your Thrive Market box always comes to you by truck, never by plane. Ground shipping uses a whopping 84% less CO2 than shipping via air (1).
- Shipping carbon neutral: Since our founding in 2014, we’ve precisely measured our carbon footprint and regularly invested in projects that offset it, such as Envira Amazonia, which protects rainforest land in Brazil, and CHOOOSE, which reduces fuel consumption by providing innovative cookstove technology to communities in Rwanda. In addition, our fulfillment centers are powered by renewable wind energy. Learn more about our commitment to being carbon neutral here.